There are many different things you can put in tea besides traditional milk and sugar. However, I still must keep milk and sugar on my top 10 list of favorite things to put in tea, because they are such a simple way to sweeten and add that nice creaminess to any cup of tea.
Depending on what type of tea you are sipping on and which flavor you desire at the time, the following are some suggestions based on my personal liking.
1. Sugar - Always a nice way to sweeten any cup of tea, sugar can be found in many forms. A few of my favorites to add to black tea and any fruit flavored tea are regular white granulated sugar, organic cane sugar, and turbanado sugar (also known as, sugar in the raw).
2. Milk – Simple, easy to add and almost always readily available, milk adds a nice yet light creaminess to black tea.
3. Honey – A wonderful and natural way to add a delicate flavor and lightly sweeten different types of tea, (variations of green tea, white tea or black tea, whether fruit flavored or not)
4. Maple Syrup – I sometimes like to add maple syrup to my black tea if I am not having an after dinner dessert. The flavor and sweetness that the maple syrup adds to my tea seems to complete my meal.
5. Fruit Jam – This may seem like an odd addition to a cup of tea, but I only use jam, such as strawberry, raspberry, apricot or peach jam when I am making bubble tea. It adds the flavor element to a nice ice cold cup of bubble tea without having to use the artificially flavored powders that are meant for bubble tea.
6. Sweetened Condensed Milk – A two in one way to sweeten and add creaminess to your tea! It comes in a small can and is usually found in the baking aisle at the grocery store. I love adding sweetened condensed milk to black tea in place of sugar and milk/cream. The thick consistency of it adds a richness to the tea that can’t seem to be accomplished with just milk or cream.
7. Cream – Is a great way to add creaminess to a cup of tea, especially the fruit flavored variety. It is richer than regular milk, but not quite as rich as sweetened condensed milk, so it makes a great in between when you are undecided.
8. Fresh Fruit - A fresh way to brighten up and add that special touch to iced tea, fruit such as berries, lemon, lime, oranges, mango or apples are a delicious addition.
9. Lemon – My go to addition to any tea, hot or cold especially when I have a sore throat, adding lemon always makes me feel better. Of course it is always refreshing to add lemon to iced tea for those hot summer days too!
10. Cinnamon – I usually like to add a pinch or two of cinnamon along with a spoonful of sugar to my black tea during the holidays or whenever I feel like having a nice aroma during tea time.